The Burnham 310 is a residential mixed-use development in Champaign, Illinois. The complex is located on the site of the former Burnham City Hospital, which was built in 1935 as part of the New Deal during the first term of President Franklin Delano Roosevelt. The City of Champaign razed the original structure and negotiated with developers for a commercial project to support the city’s tax base. The full block site is located within walking distance of the University of Illinois campus. The 375,000 square foot development includes 270 apartments that are a mixture of 1, 2 and 3-bedroom units, a fitness center, study spaces, lounge and entertainment spaces, a Caribou Coffee House, and grocery store. The entire complex is served by structured parking. The development serves young professionals, faculty members and their families, and graduate and undergraduate students. The project proved to be a catalyst for further building development adjacent to the campus.
Design Principals: Christopher Groesbeck and Nan Zhou / Architect-of-Record: VOA/Stantec